You may have noticed over the past couple of months there have been a few press releases regarding contact lenses causing the loss of vision for 3 wearers. The latest of the 3 incidents was a lady from Southampton who developed an infection in her eye, namely acanthamoeba keratitis. This is a very rare infection that is associated with patients using stagnant water - this may come from swimming pools, or even your own household water supply which is why you should never rinse your lenses in tap water.
The BCLA (British Contact Lens Association) said that the
infection rate of acanthamoeba was approximately 1 in 30,000 contact lens wearers. Interestingly, their website also went on to state that in 85% of cases, the condition was associated with contact lens use.
Although cases like this are extremely rare, we must stress the importance of getting accurate professional advise about your contact lens wear. All too often we hear patients quoting what they have read in the newspaper, and reciting what a journalist had to say. Our patients are always welcome to contact the practice for advise on these often misleading claims.
As medical professionals, this is why we advise against purchasing contact lenses online. Without professional advice you are entering a very vulnerable area. In a recent study in Australia, Professor Fiona Stapleton found the risk of getting a serious eye infection increased by 4.7 times when buying online, so buyers beware!
Please maintain regular contact with our eye care professionals to always ensure you are correctly wearing and caring for your lenses. Our Kontacts scheme costs just £7.50 per month which provides you with not only professional care but also advice 6 days a week, contact lenses at heavily reduced prices and even 20% discount on your completed spectacles.